OUGD602  STUDIO BRIEF 1 |

Leeds Print Festival 2015


















Kind of a bit of a spur of the moment thing, I decided to produce some work to sell from the Leeds College of Art stand at Leeds Print Festival. 

It had dawned on me that after being told at the start of the year my presentation was disappointing and then that I wasn't engaging enough, maybe Amber was right and I do just need to get off my arse and do things. I absolutely loved the idea of screen printing/traditional print processes and always had, yet in the entire time I had been at the college I had used the facilities once. 

I just thought what the fuck am I doing, got a pen out, did some designs and went and made it happen. 










































These were the final prints I produced - 






























Admittedly they were pretty rushed as I am not a confident screen printer/literally had one afternoon to produce them, and I wasn't sure how well they'd go down alongside the amazing work from the other stalls at the festival, but it was a good feeling to know that i'd just got up, done something that I wouldn't normally do and actually had fun. 

Another reason I wanted to take part in the festival was to try and get myself and my work out there - to be noticed outside of college as an illustrator and designer. The only way i am going to achieve this is by going out and doing things so I felt this was a good starting opportunity. 

Unfortunately it turned out there wasn't a 'Leeds College of Art' stall, just a bit of room on the end of a Nathan Bolten's table, so I kind of felt like I wasn't supposed to be there. Stupidly, I hadn't actually contacted Amber about being involved in the print stall, I had just asked her second hand man Harrison and turned up on the day, so I didn't really know what was going on. This is a mistake I will learn from. 

I only managed to sell one piece of work in the end, which was pretty disappointing - I knew the prints weren't going to appeal to most but I kind of did expect more than one person to like them. Nevertheless it was a great experience and the start of many I hope. Its also cool to know that a piece of my work is up in someones house or wherever - unless they got back, realised it was shit and but it in the bin. 

Although I don't feel this sort of work is going to make me a living (as much as i'd like it to) its defiantly going to be someone that I will continue to pursue on the side. I love illustration and character design and I always have - it makes me happy and keeps me alive so no matter what its not something I will give up on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment